A kitchen backsplash is a protective wall that is installed behind a stove, sink, or countertop.
It protects the walls from water and grease damage, and it can also be used to add style and color to your kitchen.
There are a variety of different materials that can be used for a kitchen backsplash, including vinyl, glass, tile, and stone. You can also hire a professional to install a custom kitchen backsplash for you.
(Check out some of our favorite kitchen counter decor ideas to accessorize your area!)
When it comes to doing work in the kitchen, one of the most important features of it tends to be one of the most overlooked.
The kitchen backsplash helps protect the walls from a variety of elements such as grease from the stove, as well as the splash of water from the kitchen sink- check out some of our favorite kitchen sink design and decor ideas!
When done right, some of the coolest kitchen backsplash ideas can also make this room become rather stylish as you decorate your home according to your personal preferences.
Kitchen Backsplash Ideas
1. Bluish Mosaic
Granted, it doesn’t have to be blue but if this is the color scheme of your kitchen, it works as is. The imagery kinda looks like huge fried eggs have decorated the kitchen backsplash but that’s also part of the appeal. Done mosaic-style, this is really quite an eye-catching design idea. If you’ve got a small kitchen, check out some of these design ideas!
The chevron design is popular, thanks to the wide “V” shape it comes as. Whether there is a severe contrast of color between the crooked lines or a subtle one, it is attractive to the eye, for sure. As a kitchen backsplash, this is not only a practical design but one you can work with as you go with color choices that best suit you. Maybe install one of our favorite kitchen nook ideas!
3. Classical Elegance
For homeowners preferring a classical elegance to their kitchen decor that also happens to be functional, a simple tile layout is all it takes to accomplish this look. Check out some of our favorite kitchen color scheme ideas for more inspiration.
The contrast of color as a kitchen backsplash compared to the rest of the kitchen allows the artistic side in you to burst out. At the same time, it shows your genius as someone who understands the importance of protecting an area that will likely need a bit of extra cleaning. This depends on how much of a mess you make as a cook. Make sure your kitchen drawers are organized with some of our favorite ideas!
5. Electric Blue
If blue is for you, this kitchen backsplash idea seems to funk up the room in a manner that makes it feel electric. This blue is a little bit teal- so also check out our favorite green kitchen color scheme ideas!
On the wall, the backsplash pattern looks like a bunch of old-style lamps that have been arranged together to create a somewhat mesmerizing look. However, it works as a simple, yet classy layout of a farmhouse kitchen. This is a gorgeous kitchen island- check out some of our favorite DIY kitchen island plans!
With tiles, the floral look not only makes this kitchen backsplash idea a great opportunity to beautify the kitchen but gives an opportunity to show off your creative side. What sort of floral arrangement would you like to have?
Designed like a giant work of art that happens to be framed, this kitchen backsplash idea serves a dual purpose. It works as a protector from the grease and spits that come from the stove, and it also works as an opportunity to show off your style as an interior designer.
9. Glossy White
Tiled beautifully like soldiers, the glossy white backsplash adds a design of brilliance, literally adding light to a kitchen that may be in need of it. Turn an otherwise dark and dull room into a sparkly white masterpiece.
10. Go Green
Going green never looked so cool in the kitchen, doesn’t it? As a backsplash design idea, this works beautifully, especially if you’re aiming for a retro or rustic look.
The look of marble as a kitchen backsplash adds a level of elegance to what should be one of the most important rooms in the house. Just because the primary goal is to protect the walls that are guaranteed to become more vulnerable than the rest doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be stylish about it.
12. Murally Speaking
For a kitchen backsplash idea, why not go with something that looks like a mural? Not only does the backsplash add protection to the most vulnerable walls but a cool design that can beautifully complement the rest of the kitchen.
With printing technology being what it is today, you can easily find a favorite pic to work with and have this designed for you by fabricators who specialize in making customized kitchen backsplash designs.
13. Old Brick
Going with an old, rustic-style look as a kitchen backslash idea offers wall protection and a versatile look that can match any interior decoration scheme you have in mind. The contrast of color works well against each other no matter what it is.
Neutrally colored bricks, whether the real thing or modern-day applications, always looks good in any kitchen environment. If you want to mix and match contemporary with an old farmhouse, no problem. If you’re into a blended look of industrial and minimalism, this can be accomplished as well.
Big tiles used as a backsplash idea for the kitchen are relatively common. It is usually among the cheaper options to go with and there are a variety of designs to choose from.
Whatever color scheme your kitchen happens to be, there is bound to be something that can match it perfectly. Even if you wish to contrast this part of your room from the rest, the opportunity is there to do so.
More Kitchen Backsplash Decor, Inspiration and Ideas
Whether you’re looking to update your kitchen’s look or simply change up the backsplash, there are endless possibilities for what you can do. Here are just a few kitchen backsplash ideas to get you started:
1. Subway tile is a classic choice that will never go out of style. You can opt for white subway tile for a clean and classic look, or choose a colored subway tile to add a pop of color to your kitchen.
2. Glass tile is another popular choice for kitchen backsplashes. Glass tile comes in a variety of colors and can be used to create patterns and designs.
3. Stainless steel backsplashes are perfect for a modern kitchen. They’re easy to clean and maintain, and they add a sleek and stylish look to your kitchen.
4. Stone backsplashes are gorgeous and add a natural element to your kitchen. There are many different types of stone to choose from, so you can find the perfect one to match your kitchen’s style.
5. Mirrored backsplashes are a unique and beautiful option for your kitchen. Mirrored backsplashes reflect light and make your kitchen appear larger.
6. Patterned backsplashes are a fun way to add personality to your kitchen. You can find patterned tiles in a range of colors and designs.
7. Metallic backsplashes are a great way to add a bit of glamour to your kitchen. You can find metallic tiles in a assortment of colors, including gold, silver, and bronze.
8. Brick backsplashes are perfect for country or rustic-style kitchens. Brick backsplashes add texture and character to your kitchen.
9. Wood backsplashes are a warm and natural option for your kitchen. You can find wood backsplashes in a variety of colors and grain patterns.
10. Vinyl backsplashes are a budget-friendly option that are easy to install and maintain. Vinyl backsplashes come in a medley of colors and designs, so you can find the perfect one to match your kitchen.
These are just a few kitchen backsplash ideas to get you started. There are endless possibilities for what you can do with your kitchen backsplash. Get creative and have fun!
When it comes to kitchen backsplashes, there are a variety of popular aesthetics to choose from. Here are a few of the most popular options:
1. Classic: A classic kitchen backsplash is one that is simple and elegant. White subway tile is a popular choice for a classic backsplash, or you can opt for a colored subway tile to add a pop of color.
2. Modern: A modern kitchen backsplash is one that is sleek and stylish. Stainless steel backsplashes are perfect for a modern kitchen, or you can opt for glass or metallic tiles. We love modern looks because they’re simple, stylish, and easy to clean.
3. Rustic: A rustic kitchen backsplash is one that is warm and natural. Wood backsplashes are a popular choice for rustic kitchens, or you can opt for stone or brick.
4. Eclectic: An eclectic kitchen backsplash is one that is unique and stylish. Patterned tiles are a popular choice for an eclectic backsplash, or you can opt for mirrored or metallic tiles.
5. Budget-Friendly: A budget-friendly kitchen backsplash is one that is easy to install and maintain. Vinyl backsplashes are a popular choice for budget-friendly kitchen backsplashes.
What colors go with white cabinet kitchens?
There are a variety of colors that go well with white cabinets in the kitchen. Some popular choices include light blue, green, grey, and pale pink. You can also opt for a more neutral backsplash, such as white subway tile or glass.
- Light blue: This is great because it adds a pop of color without being too overwhelming.
- Green: This is a refreshing and calming color that goes well with white cabinets.
- Grey: This is a versatile color that can be used to create a variety of different looks.
- Pale pink: This is a feminine and romantic color that goes well with white cabinets.
- Green and white: This is a traditional color combination that is excellent for the kitchen.
- Grey and white: This is a modern and sleek color combination that is ideal for the kitchen.
- Blue and white: This is a classic color combination that is perfect for the kitchen.
- Pale pink and white: This is a feminine and romantic color combination that is perfect for the kitchen.
- Black: This is perfect for creating a dramatic and sophisticated look in the kitchen.
- Neutral colors: Neutrals such as white, cream, or beige can be used to create a variety of different looks in the kitchen.
- Teal: A beautiful color that can add a pop of color to any kitchen.
- White: A classic color that goes with any kitchen style.
- Cream: A versatile color that can be used to create a mixture of different looks in the kitchen.
- Beige: A warm and neutral color that is perfect for creating a cozy atmosphere in the kitchen.
How to install a backsplash yourself: step by step
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly kitchen backsplash, vinyl is a great option. Vinyl backsplashes are easy to install and maintain, and they come in a variety of colors and designs. If you’re not handy with tools, you can easily hire a professional to install your vinyl backsplash for you.
Installing a backsplash is a relatively easy task that can be completed in a few hours. Here are the steps to install a kitchen backsplash:
- Measure the area where you want to install the backsplash. This can be done with a tape measure or ruler.
- Decide on the material you want to use for your backsplash. This can be glass, tile, stone, or another material.
- Choose the design and pattern for your backsplash. You can either create your own design or choose from a variety of pre-made designs.
- Cut the materials to size using a saw or tile cutter.
- Apply adhesive to the back of the tiles or other materials.
- Place the tiles or other materials in the desired pattern on the wall.
- Use a level to make sure the tiles are even and level with each other.
- Allow the adhesive to dry according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Apply grout to the seams between the tiles.
- Allow the grout to dry according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Enjoy your new kitchen backsplash!
Hi, my name’s Elena Coolidge. I’m a DIY enthusiast who loves building fun woodworking plans. These DIY plans are fun hobby projects for enthusiasts or even more advanced builders that want to build things like bunk beds, end tables or even a duck box!