Fishing is one of the most popular activities for families to do together.
We all know that fishing is one of the best ways to spend some quality time with family. Fishing is an activity that helps keep us engaged and has the potential to create treasured memories for years to come.
As avid fishers, we end up hauling around a ton of fishing rods. We’ve installed a wall-mounted rack to store the rods in our garage. But we also have hacked together some PVC holders for when we’re on the jetty surf-casting.
We’ve collected some of our favorite DIY fishing rod holder plans below- check out this list for a handy storage solution!
This DIY fishing rod holder is perfect for anyone who loves fishing but needs a solution for storing their rods. The best part is that it’s easy enough for anyone to put together – even if you’re not skilled in carpentry!
A DIY fishing rod holder is a homemade way to store and/or display a wide assortment of fishing rods. It is a great way to store your fishing rods when not in use, and it can also be used as a casting station when you are out on the water.
There are a few different ways that you can make a DIY fishing rod holder. The most common type is made out of PVC pipe and fittings. You can also use a wooden dowel or a metal pipe.
- 15 DIY Fishing Rod Holder Plans & Ideas
- #1. Fishing Rod Storage Holder
- #2. Horizontal Fishing Rod Holder Rack
- #3. Homemade PVC Fishing Rod Holder
- #4. PVC Modular Fishing Rod Stand Holder
- #5. Fishing Rod Stand
- #6. Fishing Fly Rod Rack
- #7. Fishing Pole Rod Stand
- #8. PVC Bank Fishing Rod Holder
- #10. Easy DIY PVC Fishing Rod Holder
- #11. Simple Collapsible PVC Fishing Rod Holder
- #12. PVC Fishing Rod Rack
- #13. Easy Overhead Fishing Rod Rack
- #14. DIY Fishing Rod Storage Wall Rack
- #15. Scrap Wood Fishing Rod Stand
- How To Make A Fishing Rod Holder
- Build v.s. Buy?
- Care and maintenance tips
- In Summary
15 DIY Fishing Rod Holder Plans & Ideas
#1. Fishing Rod Storage Holder
#2. Horizontal Fishing Rod Holder Rack
#3. Homemade PVC Fishing Rod Holder
#4. PVC Modular Fishing Rod Stand Holder
#5. Fishing Rod Stand
#6. Fishing Fly Rod Rack
#7. Fishing Pole Rod Stand
#8. PVC Bank Fishing Rod Holder
#10. Easy DIY PVC Fishing Rod Holder
#11. Simple Collapsible PVC Fishing Rod Holder
#12. PVC Fishing Rod Rack
#13. Easy Overhead Fishing Rod Rack
#14. DIY Fishing Rod Storage Wall Rack
#15. Scrap Wood Fishing Rod Stand
How To Make A Fishing Rod Holder
Whichever type of DIY fishing rod holder you choose to make, there are a few basic steps that you will need to follow:
Step 1: Decide on the size and shape of your holder
The first step is to decide on the size and shape of your holder. You will need to measure the length and diameter of your fishing rods, and then use those measurements to create a template for your holder.
Step 2: Cut the PVC pipe and fittings
To create your PVC fishing rod holder, you will need to cut the pipe and fittings according to your template. Make sure that you make the cuts as smooth as possible. You will also want to clean up each end of the fitting before attaching it to the next piece of pipe.
Step 3: Attach all of the PVC pieces
Once you have cut the pipe and fittings, it is time to attach them. Use PVC cement to glue the pieces together. Make sure that you allow adequate time for the cement to dry before moving on to the next step.
Step 4: Drill the mounting holes
Now that your fishing rod holder is assembled, you will need to drill the mounting holes. This will allow you to attach it to a wall or other surface.
Step 5: Paint or decorate your holder
Once the holder is assembled and mounted, you can then paint or decorate it however you like. You can paint it in any color, and add stickers to personalize it.
Build v.s. Buy?
DIY fishing rod holders are cost-effective
If you make them yourself, it will cost you substantially less than purchasing one. There are several different types of DIY rods that can be made depending on how much time and money you want to invest in the project. You can also mix and match materials to create a holder that is perfect for your needs.
They are easy to make
The basic steps for making a DIY fishing rod holder are very easy to follow, and even novice DIYers should be able to make one without too much trouble.
They can be customized
As mentioned earlier, you can customize your holder in any way that you like. This is great for displaying your favorite fishing gear and personalizing the area with your flare.
They are lightweight
If you are out on the water, then you do not want to bring something too heavy with you. The PVC pipe and fittings make your homemade fishing rod holder very lightweight, which makes it perfect for taking along when you go fishing.
DIY holders are unique because they can be made to fit any size or shape of a fishing rod, which makes it an ideal way to store and display your gear without taking up too much space.
The pipe and fittings are flimsy.
If you choose to use PVC pipe and fittings to make your holder, you will need to be careful when assembling it. The pieces can be somewhat flimsy, which means that you may have some trouble adjusting the size of the rod opening if needed.
You will also need to find a way to secure the holder to a surface so that it does not move around.
They can be time-consuming
If you are not familiar with DIY projects, then making your fishing rod holder can take some time. You will need to find the right materials, measure and cut the pipe and fittings, and then drill the mounting holes.
If you are not taking your time, then this may result in making mistakes that will need to be corrected.
They can be dangerous for children
If you have young children, then you should keep them away from the holder after it is completed and mounted on a wall or other surface.
The edges of your DIY rod holders can be sharp and dangerous, so it is important to take precautions when storing and using your gear.
Care and maintenance tips
- You should keep your holder away from moisture. If you are not planning to use it for a long period, you will need to store your DIY rod holder in a dry location so that it is protected.
- After you have used the holder, clean it thoroughly before storing it. You can use mild soap and water or an alcohol-based cleaner to clean the holder and make sure that it is free of any dirt or debris.
- You should also check all mounting screws and fittings to make sure they are secure and in good condition. If any of the screws or fittings are loose, then you will need to replace them before using the holder again.
- If you have trouble with your holder mounting to a wall or other surface, you can use a few different methods to make sure it stays in place. Some people will add a sealant around the holes to make sure that screws do not go through them and stick out on the other side. You can also put a thin strip of felt between the screw and the rod holder which will prevent it from moving. (Source)
Making your own DIY fishing rod holder is a great way to save money and customize the look and feel of your gear. The basic steps are easy to follow, and you can make adjustments depending on the materials that you choose to use.
Just be sure to take your time and follow the safety precautions listed above so that you can enjoy your new holder for years to come.